SIMPLY SIX: Clara Bellino
Clara Bellino is a singer/songwriter from California.
1. For many artists, they cite a for themselves when they knew they wanted to be a singer. For many it was the appearance of Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show, to another generation it was the Beatles’ appearance on Sullivan half a decade later. Is there such a defining moment for you?
It was putting myself to sleep when I was 9 listening to David Bowie, I loved his , metaphors, imagery and personal expression. I was writing poems, decided I was going to sing them, put them to music. I had just started .
2. When you’re not creating music what are you listening to? Who are some
of your favorites?
I listen to a wide array of music: what I catch on radio, in my car, I love Spanish, sung, and Brazilian grooves of all kinds. But also classical, , japanese pop, instrumentals. Music that has something to say and does it in an entertaining personal non preachy way that involves me and talks to me not at me.
3. What would you say is your greatest moment so far as an artist, either on record or live?
There have been a few. Most recently it was doing an internet radio interview with someone in Indiana knowing that 400 kids in 2 orphanages in Kenya and India were listening in to my song we picked for them "Goodnight Baby", and it lifted them up. I was choked up listening, and when I found out it cheered them up. Playing the Olympics in my hometown in 1992! was pretty special too.
4. Do you believe music can change the world or is just something to listen to? How much can music influence current events?
Music does change the world, imagine the world without it?
5. How has technology affected the music industry? How has technology affected your career as a musician?
Technology I suppose has benefited and hindered music as I see it; technology gives me more control over being exposed around the world and gives me the ability to connect with the people who enjoy what I do. Musically speaking, I still prefer the sound of real instruments played by people playing together who know how to play them.
6. Now for my Barbara Walters question: If you were a pair of shoes what type of shoes would you be?
A fuzzy pair of warm slippers :)
Influence current events? sure if we all sing together..